SCORE!! I did it again, I made a favorite!
When I posted this picture on Facebook, a lot of you were asking for the recipe. I didn’t really follow a recipe I just followed a basic lasagna theme. I wanted to make it and be sure it was going to be great before sharing. Gluten free cooking can be tricky sometimes, and I’ve had a few duds.
Let’s not talk about the gluten free sourdough garlic bread I attempted along side….I’ve still gotta work on that one!
This one however was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!
So, here ya go!
Gluten Free Lasagna Roll Ups
2 boxes Rice Lasagna Noodles
1-2 lbs of ground beef
1 small onion
1 tsp coconut oil
2 cloves fresh garlic
1 tbs Italian seasoning
1 large jar of Prego Spaghetti Sauce or make your own
1 8 oz container cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
salt and pepper
2-3 16oz bags Mozzarella Cheese
Preheat oven to 350
1. Chop the onion very small and saute in coconut oil.
2. Add the ground beef and fresh garlic, cook until done and no longer pink. Be sure to chop the ground beef small while it’s cooking this will make spreading it easier. Add Italian seasoning. Add a little spaghetti sauce into your meat mixture. Just enough to cover. Set the rest aside.
3. While the meat is cooking begin the noodles
The box of rice noodles may tell you not to boil. Obviously, that won’t work with roll ups. Here’s what you do. Bring a pot of water barely to a boil and place the noodles inside, then TURN IT DOWN TO LOW. Let the noodles sit in the water until they are partially cooked. You just want them soft enough to roll. Get them too soft they will fall apart, so you have to keep a close on this part.
Cook noodles as above. Then lay flat on parchment paper as you see in the picture.
4. Using a mixer blend together cottage or ricotta cheese with egg, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth and creamy. if you use cottage cheese there will still be a few chunks.
5. Smooth cheese mixture over noodles until lightly covered, sprinkle with pepper. Then layer with meat mixture and mozzarella. Make sure to save PLENTY of mozzarella for the top of your dish.
6. Roll lasagna noodles tightly and use a toothpick to hold them together. Place in pan toothpick side up. Be sure to use something on the bottom of your 9×13 so that your noodles don’t stick. I used a little of the sauce from my meat pan to lightly coat the bottom before putting noodles in. OH and don’t forget to tell your family about that toothpick!
7. Cover rolled noodles with the rest of your sauce and then cover with the rest of your mozzarella.
8. Cover and Bake at 350 for about an hour.
Add a side salad and everyone will enjoy this! Gluten free doesn’t have to be hard or taste bad. you just have to willing to experiment and learn as you go. I’ve had my share of oops’s but when you get one right, it’s all worth it!
I’ve discovered that eating gluten free can be fun if you look at it like something you get to discover. If your just starting out be sure to make foods that are not only gluten free but also nutritious and get a multi-vitamin into your diet. I take Vitamin Packs with Vitamins, Minerals and Omega 3’s. You don’t have to take what I take, but be sure your taking something and be sure that they are gluten free as well.
BIO: Daveda Schmidlin is a former pastor, teacher and speaker turned Stay at Home, Gluten Free, Network Marketing, Homeschooling Mama with a passion for overall health and wellness. Daveda has build a successful, home based business with It Works! Global and her desire is to inspire others to live healthy spiritually, mentally, financially and physically.