Who doesn’t like to have a FABULOUS Gluten Free Recipe for onion rings in their arsenal?
My husband has fallen in love with me all over again! Making the change to gluten free eating has had it’s challenging moments. I’m not going to lie to you, every meal I make or eat is not exactly 100% “health food” BUT I do eat healthy 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time I look for a gluten free recipe or two that TASTES GOOD to make my husband and sons some of their favorite things. It’s easier to keep them on board if I make sure the masses are happy 😉
Awhile back I kept hearing, “I really want some onion rings” so I started looking for a batter that didn’t taste like the dirt on the bottom of your shoes. Low and behold I found a gluten free recipe for onion rings! The best part of it is that this gluten free recipe is better than any batter I’ve ever made! I used this same batter when I started hearing “I would really like some fish, not on the grill or in the oven, but fried.” ok, ok, I’m on it! It’s still necessary for me to throw a couple Fat Fighter down his throat to at least balance the blood sugar and block some of those fat and crabs but it tastes great and keeps them happy for awhile.
Gluten Free Recipe – Batter (onion rings, fish…whatever you like!)
1 Cup Gluten Free all-purpose flour
1 – 1 1/2 Cups Cornstarch
2 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp seasoning salt (GF)
11/2 -2 Cups Club Soda
The healthiest frying oil you can find
Mixing up your gluten free recipe is easy, just be sure to take your time to get the consistency the way you want it. If it’s too thin it will run right off of your foods. I started with 1 cup of corn starch and used the other 1/2 cup to modify.
Whisk together the flour, cornstarch, chili powder, garlic powder and seasoning salt. Whisk in the club soda a little at a time to make a thick batter. I found this recipe in 5oo Gluten Free Dishes and modified it to taste.
As you have probably already figured out, everyone loved this gluten free recipe! Home run for me…now tomorrow I can get them to eat something a little less greasy and much healthier. Once in while I have to tame the beast inside of these men of mine. Enjoy!
I would love to hear about a gluten free recipe that you keep in your arsenal! Leave a comment and share with me!
Being Loved By Him, With You, Daveda
BIO: Daveda Schmidlin is a former pastor, teacher and speaker turned Stay at Home, Networking Marketing, Homeschooling Mama with a passion for overall health and wellness. Daveda has build a successful, home based business with It Works! Global and her desire is to inspire others to live healthy spiritually, mentally, financially and physically.