Stuffed Mushrooms? Yes, Please!
Who says gluten free has to be bland?
Your taste buds will sing after you try a bite of these gluten free bad boys! We used to love to make stuffed mushrooms made with crab meat as a treat. But as sad as it was to find out, imitation crab meat has wheat in it. So I decided to find another way and set out looking. I visited Mr. Google and he sent me lots of places but I do have to give credit where credit is due. I got this recipe idea from Adventures Of A Gluten Free Mom and just made a few adjustments. It’s made with sausage and that’s what the hubby voted on.
You could do various adjustments to the following recipe if you wanted and still keep it gluten free. I’ll give you a couple ideas I’ve thought of at the end.
12-16 Baby Bella’s
1 Tbs Coconut Oil
1 small onion diced up
1 lb Italian Bulk Sausage
3 Garlic Cloves
8 oz Cream Cheese
1/2 Cup Parmesan
1/4 tsp Ground Pepper
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Remove stems (save them) from mushrooms and clean out the mushroom just a little. A grapefruit spoon works perfect! Slice off the hard end of the mushrooms and finely chop the rest.
3. Place mushroom on a lined baking sheet cavity side up.
4. Heat oil and add chopped mushroom stems and sautee 2 minutes. Add onion, sautee another 2 minutes and add sausage. Cook until sausage is done and the add fresh garlic.
5. Add Cream Cheese, Parmesan, Onion Powder and black pepper. Stir ingredients together. Once melted turn off heat.
6. Use a little spoon (grapefruit spoon works great!…did I say that already hehe) and fill each mushroom cap generously with sausage and cheese filler.
7. Bake for 20-25 minute or until mushroom have a pool of liquid sitting under them.
I have to admit I did take my Fat Fighter’s after this one to cut back on some of the fat. But they were worth it!
P.S. You could also use shrimp instead of sausage and mix in a little GF bread crumbs or corn meal into the sautee to get a thinker, stuffing texture…I’ll be trying this next!
If you like this recipe you may also like my recipe for gluten free onion rings. It seems to be fan favorite! Check it out 🙂 Gluten Free Onion Rings
BIO: Daveda Schmidlin is a former pastor, teacher and speaker turned Stay at Home, Gluten Free, Network Marketing, Homeschooling Mama with a passion for overall health and wellness. Daveda has build a successful, home based business with It Works! Global and her desire is to inspire others to live healthy spiritually, mentally, financially and physically.