I’ve always been a fan of some good quality dark chocolate! Over the years I have heard discrepancies as to whether or not it’s actually good for you or if that’s just something those of us who don’t want to go without it say. I decided awhile back to do a little research and I what found made me smile 😉
Dark chocolate does have some good health benefits. Of course this doesn’t mean you want to eat mounds of it. But a reasonable chuck or two 2-3 times a week is actually good for you.
Here are 6 health benefits of dark chocolate
1. Can help lower blood pressure, improve blood flow and prevent blood clots.
2. Want to be smarter? Dark Chocolate is good for your brain, it can help improve your cognitive function. This is the part of your brain that is responsible for processing thought, memory and comprehension.
3. Contains lots of antioxidants, 8x what’s in strawberries!
4. Did you know there are minerals in dark chocolate? You just might be able to curb a sweet tooth craving and find a source of iron, magnesium and potassium just to name a few of the most common ones.
5. Dark chocolate has always been known to lower LDL cholesterol.
If you can find sugar free dark chocolate this is the better choice. But dark chocolate won’t cause spikes in your blood sugar. So, if you have a sweet tooth and you’re a chocolate lover like I am a little dark chocolate is the way to go. I personally keep a bar of 85% Cocoa Dark Chocolate in my fridge at all times. One bar will last me for months! But it also curbs that craving when one hits and come to find out its actually GOOD for me!
How about you, are you a dark chocolate lover? I would love to get some new suggestions for brands or types to try. Leave a comment and tell me, what is your favorite go to for a dark chocolate craving?
BIO: Daveda Schmidlin is a happy wife, mother, and grandmother. She is a speaker, teacher, author and former pastor who is passionate about the Gospel of Grace. Her message is sincere, encouraging, simple and profound. Her words will set people free from condemnation and will help usher them into a deeper revelation and understanding of God’s great love.